MySQL is a SQL (Structured Query Language) database server. It is
a small, multithreaded, fast and capable relational database with a C
API that is compatible with Mini SQL from Hughes Technologies.
It offers Perl, Python, TCL, C, C++, JDBC and ODBC interfaces.
Its features include:
- Support fixed length and dynamic length table formats for
optimization of speed or size.
- Extremely fast load and store to/from text files with the most
- Auto increment and timestamp columns
- Lots of column types. Supports all ODBC types and also TEXT, BLOB, SET,
ENUM, MEDIUMINT (24 bits) and BIGINT (64 bits)
- All integer types can be signed or unsigned.
- CHAR() and VARCHAR() fields can be case sensitive or case insensitive.
- Bit operations: WHERE (flags & 7) = 2 and bit_count(flags)=3
- New summary functions: STD(), BIT_OR() and BIT_AND().
- 5 different optimizers with a one-pass-join gives outstanding performance.
- Searching with regular expressions.
- Extended ALTER TABLE with possibilities to change columns.
- Lots of new string functions.
- Scalable: Works with 2M RAM to 4G RAM.
- Uses files to store tables.
- Automatic conversions of values between number and string, like perl.
Current Version: 3.23.38
License Type: GPL
Source Code Availability: Yes
Available Binary Packages:
Sun Solaris 2.5 and 2.6, SUNOS, Linux 2.# (intel and sparc), FreeBSD
2.#, FreeBSD 3.0, BSDI 2.#, BSDI 3.0, IBM AIX, OSF1, HP-UX, SCO,
Dec-Unix, Irix 6.2
A working Posix thread library is needed for the server,
eg., the authors use LinuxThreads for Linux.
http://www.abriasoft.com/ (a web database management system with MySQL)
http://www.nusphere.com (enhanced open source software and commercial services for MySQL-powered web sites and applications.)
Mailing Lists/USENET News Groups:
Mailing List http://www.tcx.se/FAQ/mysql-faq.html#SEC3
See A Screen Shot?