XView based scientific graph plotting and data analysis tool.
Main Features of Robot:
- Graph plotting in various styles - error bars, histogram, symbols, lines, dashed lines etc. Linear or
- Data manipulation - arithmetic, functions, Fourier transforms, smoothing, folding, sorting.
- Fitting to data using built in functions such as Gaussians, polynomials, Lorentzians, and/or a user defined
- Annotation of graphs with text in various styles, simple drawing tools.
- Interaction with Robot is via pull-down menus, buttons etc. and/or a pseudo command line type interface.
- Commands are stored in log files for later play back, editing etc.
- Command files can also include basic programming constructs: loops, if tests, user defined variables.
- Multi-color plots. Multiple plots per page. Multiple pages.
- Output in PostScript format.
Current Version: X4.92
License Type: Free
Source Code Availability: Yes
Available Binary Packages:
Sun (SunOS and Solaris), LINUX, DEC Alpha, and DECstation.
XView, C compiler, FORTRAN compiler (f77) or converter (e.g. f2c)
Some binary distributions (Linux, Sun's, DECstations) are available for those without compilers.
The full distribution (source, documentation etc.) takes up about
2.0Mbytes of disc space and the executable consumes approximately 1.4
Mbytes of RAM or greater (depending on the size of the data files being
ftp://ftp.astro.psu.edu/pub/astrod (FTP site)
Corbet, R.H.D., Larkin, C. & Nousek, J.A. Proceedings of "Astronomical
Data Analysis and Software Systems", Tucson, November, 1991. ASP
Conference Series, 1992, 25, 106. (ISBN 0-937707-44-9)
Mailing Lists/USENET News Groups:
- Thanks for your help, I have used robot to plot graphs for my doctors
thesis, and for a couple of papers submitted to journals (J.PHYS.A,
- I am using robot for plotting graphs in the field of Biophysics.
- I would have to say that your Robot program is the best designed and
functional program I have seen using Xview outside of the standard Sun
applications. Congratulations! I hope that you will continue to add
more functions to the software.
See A Screen Shot? main control panel,
an example plot, another example plot