| Scientific Data Processing & Visualization
| Software Packages
LinkWinds version 2.3 applies a unique
data-linking paradigm resulting in a system which functions much like a
graphical spreadsheet. It is not only a powerful method for organizing
large amounts of data for analysis, but provides a highly intuitive,
easy-to-learn, easy-to-retain user interface on top of the traditional
graphical user interface. The linking of data displays and controls for
their manipulation provides great flexibility in rapidly exploring large
masses of complex data to quickly detect trends, correlations and
anomalies. The system is comprised of a large and expanding suite of
non-domain specific applications and provides for the ingestion of a
variety of database formats. Its many functions and services include
The data file formats accepted by LinkWinds 2.3 are:
- 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional graphical displays of data.
- The ability to deal with very large data files.
- Interactive visual data subsetting either at the input or output
- Supersetting to construct higher dimensionality data sets from sets of
data files. This is useful for building
time series from daily data accumulations.
- Simultaneous display and analysis of multiple data sets which may be
- A unique and easy-to-use animation creation and display capability.
- Interactive color manipulation.
- A journal and macro capability allowing replay of an entire session or
any portion thereof.
- Hard copy of graphical displays and text.
- A context-sensitive help system.
- Network support for collaborative data analysis with partners anywhere
on the internet, using virtually no
- In addition to archived data sets, LinkWinds has demonstrated an ability to ingest and display real time data, which may be from spacecraft, laboratory experiments, or computer simulations.
- Raw binary data in signed and unsigned 1, 2 and 4 byte integers and
4 and 8 byte floating point.
- The Hierarchical Data Format (HDF).
- The Common Data Format (CDF).
- The Silicon Graphics, Inc. native RGB image format.
- Data with Planetary Data System (PDS) headers.
- The astrophysics Flexible Image Transport System (FITS).
- ASCII text data.
- Two data formats of UARS, the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite.
Both the format maintained by the Goddard DAAC and the UNIX variant
of the format of the Central Data Handling Facility (CDHF) are
- The Stratospheric Aerosol and Gas Experiment (SAGE) data format.
- HDF-EOS including NASA Scatterometer data.
Current Version: 2.3
License Type: Free for Non-Commercial Use, http://linkwinds.jpl.nasa.gov/license.html
Source Code Availability: No
Available Binary Packages:
- Debian Package: No
- RedHat RPM Package: No
- Other Packages: Yes
SGI, Sun, IBM, HP and PC-based Linux workstations.
Mailing Lists/USENET News Groups:
See A Screen Shot?
Copyright © 1995-2001 by
Copyright © 1997-2001 by
Kachina Technologies, Inc.
All rights reserved.