ViSta --- The Visual Statistics System --- is a
statistical system featuring state-of-the-art statistical visualization
tools for communicating data structure and statistical analysis results,
and for guiding and structuring the analysis process. ViSta is designed for
a wide range of users.
ViSta is particularly useful for those learning statistics and their
teachers. It is being used to teach:
ViSta is also being used for research and development in computational and
- Introductory Statistics
- Multivariate Statistics
- Computational Statistics
- Graphical Statistics
ViSta is designed for an audience of users having a very wide range of
data analysis sophistication, ranging from novice to expert.
ViSta provides seamlessly integrated data analysis environments specifically
tailored to the user's level of expertise.
- Guidance is available for students and novices.
- A structured graphical user interface is available for all users.
- A menu interface is available for users who don't need guidance.
- A command line interface is available for sophisticated users and those
who don't like graphical interfaces.
- Multivariate data analysis procedures are available for students in
- The complete Lisp-Stat (Tierney, 1990) programming environment is
available to researchers, graduate students and programmers who wish to
extend ViSta's capabilities.
- GuideTools are available for teachers and other experts to create
guidance for students and novices.
- Applets can be written for web-based distance learning.
Current Version: 4.29 (UNIX)
License Type: Copyright 1997-1999 by Forrest W. Young. Freely
redistributable. The complete copyright statement is here.
Mailing Lists/USENET News Groups:
email@example.com (join here).
Source Code Availability:
All source code is freely available.
Available Binary Packages:
Various Unix Platforms; Windows 95, 3.1 & NT; OS/2; Mac OS.
No special requirements.
Screen Shot of the Structured Desktop?
A Statistical Visualization?
Copyright © 1995-2001 by
Copyright © 1997-2001 by
Kachina Technologies, Inc.
All rights reserved.